Classroom Posters: The Universal Tool for Educational and Decorative Purposes
The use of posters in education is rather a widespread phenomenon as this method of delivering information is very efficient and is liked by both teachers and students. At the same time, classroom posters may also have more decorative functions and serve to enhance the décor of the classroom.
In this article, we’d like to consider the use of posters for both educational and decorative aims as well as provide you with the most popular types of them.
- 1 Educational Posters for Classrooms
- 2 Posters for Classrooms as a Part of Wall Décor
- 3 Varieties of Posters for the Classroom
- 3.1 Classroom Rules Posters
- 3.2 Math Classroom Posters
- 3.3 History Classroom Posters
- 3.4 Biology Posters
- 3.5 Chemistry Prints
- 3.6 Physics Science Posters
- 3.7 Health Posters for Educational Establishments
- 3.8 Geography Classroom Posters
- 3.9 Languages Classroom Posters
- 3.10 Music Classroom Posters
- 3.11 Literature Posters
- 3.12 Classroom Motivational Posters
- 3.13 Art Classroom Posters
- 3.14 Funny Classroom Posters
Educational Posters for Classrooms
Posters are amazing visual cues for pupils and students. It’s a well-known fact that visuals make the educational process easier and facilitate learning. Let’s consider the basic advantages of using posters in education in more details.
- A poster helps to attract attention to a certain topic. By starting a lesson with poster presenting, you will arouse more interest in the subject than by doing that in the traditional way.
- Certain science posters (article: Science Posters Use and Tips on How to Create a High-Quality Scientific Poster) for classrooms are able to inspire and motivate the students to find out more about the subject.
- While preparing a huge theme, posters help to organize the information and present it in an easy and convenient way for both teachers and students.
- Images are more evocative than words and thus, more associations connected with them are formed.
- The majority of humans perceive the visual information better than any other one. This means that such information will be kept in mind for a longer period of time.
Thus, you see that there are many pluses in using teacher posters for classrooms. Moreover, a single poster can be used for several years and for different students.
It’s impossible to list all the subjects and themes, which can be presented in the form of a poster as they can be done for every discipline from mathematics to physical training. However, while choosing a print for classroom, a teacher needs to make sure that the poster is appropriate. There are certain basic requirements, which a high-quality poster needs to suit.
The features of a good educational poster for classroom are:
- It must be concise but informative. As a rule, students don’t like to read much text from the posters. It’s better to use infographics, graphs and various tables as well as images for better visualization.
- Simplicity. As your audience consists of pupils and students, which aren’t experts, the language in the poster needs to be simple and clear. Try to avoid using technical terms and difficult words. And if you use them, they need to be explained.
- A poster needs to attract attention. In order to do that, the poster must be bright and rather large so that even the students at the last desks are able to see it.
- A poster needs to be appropriate for the age of learners. It’s a big difference if you prepare a poster for adults or for children. The children perceive the material better if it has bright and amazing pictures while the visuals for grown-ups can be more discreet.
- A classroom poster must be logically arranged. Before presenting a poster to pupils, make sure that all the information is presented in the proper order and contains no mistakes.
Posters for Classrooms as a Part of Wall Décor
Classroom posters can be not directly connected with the education and serve only as a decorative tool. The empty walls of classrooms look very boring and sometimes, it’s necessary to enliven them so that pupils and students like to spend time there and feel comfortable. Absolutely empty monotonous walls will hardly make someone feel at ease.
At the same time, a classroom poster needs to look organic in the design of the room. As a rule, the designs of classrooms are rather neutral and almost every type of wall art can be placed there. However, if your classroom is different, you need to think over all the decorative details thoroughly.
The most frequent variants of decorative prints are inspirational posters for classroom, art and funny images. These three types of posters will be considered in more detail further.
While choosing a print for a classroom, you also need to pay attention to its theme. Thus, nature prints suit better biology classrooms, travel posters are good for geography class, images of various kinds of sports and famous athletes are perfect for school gyms.
Varieties of Posters for the Classroom
Here are the examples of the most widespread types of classroom posters.
Classroom Rules Posters
A classroom rules poster is the most widespread at elementary schools. When children make their first steps to good education, they aren’t aware of many rules. The teacher’s task is to teach them how to behave and what they should and shouldn’t do.
The best way to present school rules is, of course, in a game form and using bright pictures. For example, you can use the images of cartoon personages or funny animals. There are many other ways of presenting such information, but remember that the visual information is much more important than text itself.
Math Classroom Posters
When talking about math posters for classroom, we, first of all, think about the prints of various formulae. Yes, formulae and theorems images are most frequently used for math classrooms in order to provide students with visual help.
The other popular math posters for classrooms are the ones of a multiplication table (usually for elementary school), portraits of famous mathematicians with short biographies and presentation of scientific researches (usually at colleges and universities).
History Classroom Posters
The prints, featuring historical events and figures, are the first ones, which come to our mind while considering history posters. The other popular prints are the ones, containing various important dates and maps of famous battles.
If the walls of the history class look too boring, you may enhance them with images of ancient artifacts, photos from the excavations of the ancient cities or the places, which are historically and culturally important. Such images are more decorative than educational, but still contribute to the students’ development.
Biology is a science, in which visuals are very important as much information needs to be demonstrated. Biology posters may feature every biological phenomenon from a cell structure to various species of animals. They usually contain images and short explanations to them.
If you want to add a bit of interesting décor to the biology class, you can place the images of various kinds of plants for botany class or animals pictures for zoology.
Science classroom posters for chemistry frequently feature numerous formulae, structures of elements and their characteristics. It’s also impossible to imagine a chemistry class without a table of periodic elements.
Besides lots of scientific information, posters for a chemistry classroom can contain photos of experiments and laboratory tests as well as the pictures of chemical implements.
Physics Science Posters
Physics is a science, which demands exact figures and formulae as well as explains various phenomena. Physics posters are usually very informative, though may contain a little text. The main aim of such prints isn’t only to teach certain things but also to make us understand how everything in this world works.
Health Posters for Educational Establishments
Sometimes, health posters are extremely important for children and young people. They make students aware of certain problems and provide with the recommendations of how to avoid them. In the majority of cases, they have to do with pernicious habits, healthy food and active way of life.
Geography Classroom Posters
Geography is associated with various maps. There is usually a great amount of them in geography classrooms, from world maps to topographic prints of a certain location. Besides traditional variants, there are also a great number of creative and original map designs.
Languages Classroom Posters
English classroom posters often feature grammar rules or vocabulary issues. You can face creative and bright alphabet posters for classroom, where small pupils study and make their first steps in education. The prints for adults are more moderate and usually contain rules and examples of use of certain things.
If to talk about foreign languages, for example Spanish classroom posters, they may feature not only the language rules, verb forms and thematic vocabularies, but also the images, which will help the students to understand this country better. For instance, Spanish posters for the classroom may feature the photos of the country’s sights, culture, food and traditions.
Music Classroom Posters
Music classroom can be decorated with portraits of famous musicians, their biographies and the prints, telling about the differences between various music kinds and genres. The décor may be also complemented with artistic prints, featuring music notes or instruments.
Literature classes are impossible without studying writers’ and poets’ biographies. That’s why, the most frequent wall décor are their portraits and short biographies. The prints may also contain the quotes of famous authors as well as citations from their works.
Classroom Motivational Posters
Along with the educational purposes, high school classroom posters can also motivate and inspire the students. Inspirational classroom posters aren’t only connected with studies but have to do with career and personal development.
It’s a good idea if motivational posters for classrooms contain some humor as thus, they won’t only motivate but also raise the mood.
Art Classroom Posters
Art classroom is the place, where pupils are able to release all their creative potential and show how talented they are. As art includes various techniques and genres, each of them can be used as wall décor. For example, the reproductions of paintings can be hanged or creative posters. Moreover, such prints can be mounted in other classrooms.
Art class posters may also contain useful information as to how to make certain things and reach the best results. For instance, a print, showing how to make an origami dog will be highly appreciated by pupils, who are fond of paper folding.
Funny Classroom Posters
Funny posters for classroom raise the spirits of the pupils and make them feel at ease. Such prints can be only decorative or designed for a certain purpose. For example, a funny school timetable poster looks pretty nice and helps the pupils to remember about what lessons they have.
The list of all the possible classroom posters doesn’t end here as the number of themes is inexhaustible. A poster can be created for almost every theme and every discipline. If you can’t find the one you need at stores, you are free to design your own poster and have it printed.