Baby Photography: Tips and Ideas for Lovely Babies’ Photos
Baby photos are the loveliest photos in the world. However, many people think that the process of photo shooting isn’t easy at all. It’s hard to predict a child’s actions: he or she constantly moves, changes poses and gets distracted. In reality, children inspire photographers and each photo shooting ends up with a series of amazing photos. If you still haven’t done baby photography, try doing it just once and you’ll see that children are better models than adults.
While dealing with newborn photography, you need to take into account the following recommendations:
- Make several shots from every angle. By making many shots, you will be able to casually catch an interesting moment. Newborns don’t know how to pose. That’s why originality and uniqueness of each photo depends upon a photographer. Keep your camera shooting rather than waiting for the appropriate moment. Children are unpredictable and that’s why, you can make a perfect photo without even intending to do it.
- It’s better to make photos in daytime. First, the daylight is more appropriate for newborn baby photography than the electrical one. It’s better to use window light if the sun isn’t shining too brightly. Secondly, a baby will be more inclined for photo shooting as he or she has eaten and slept and is in better mood. Moreover, it’s not necessary to wait till a child wakes up. Newborns look extremely lovely when they sleep.
- Turn off a flash. It can frighten a child. Just find a place, which is better lightened and shoot there.
- Invent some interesting storylines. Here, there are no limits for your imagination. For example, one of the popular ways to make photos is to show the contrast between an adult and a baby: a baby holds a father’s finger or the parents hold the child’s tiny feet in their hands etc.
- If you photograph not a newborn but a bit older child, try to make him or her engaged in activity. It’s also a wonderful idea to make photos with family or friends. However, don’t force a child to do what you want, allow children to take their own decisions on what to do.
- Let a baby inspire you. That’s wonderful if you think over the poses for children photography before the shooting starts. However, the loveliness of these photos is in improvisation. The atmosphere around a newborn baby is full of love and tenderness. Just watch the baby’s behavior and you will see how lovely his or her movements, yawns and pandiculations are.
- Use macro lenses when a baby is sleeping. Don’t lose a chance to make macro shots of little feet, pouting lips and long eyelashes. Such photos will look very nice in children albums.
- Ask a mother to take part in the photo shooting. Many women aren’t eager to be photographed soon after giving a birth to their babies. That’s why, there are a great number of photos of a baby and so little of a mother and her child. If you manage to persuade a mother to take part in photo shooting, these shoots will be a real treasure for their family. Try to choose such poses for a mother so that she doesn’t feel uncomfortable and tense.
Now, in order to turn on your imagination, we offer you to consider some interesting ideas for photographing little children.
If you want to make a series of photos during the first year of a baby’s life, use a chalkboard to show how old the baby is. Just make the similar photos on the same place and change the age on the board. In addition, you can write not only the age but also weight, height, what a child has learnt to do during this month etc. These moments are magic and it’s a very good idea to capture all the achievements of a child in a series of photos. It’s also nice to show the baby’s age by arranging his or her toys in the form of a number.
Play with the sizes. Find some object and make a photo of a baby near it. For example, it can be a soft toy. As a child grows, make other photos with the same object. Thus, you will get the full presentation of how a child grows in comparison with the toy. It will especially wonderful to look at these photos many years after.
Palm of Your Hand. To make photos on a mother’s or father’s hand is very nice way to show how little an infant is. The difference of sizes looks very impressing and touching.
Baskets. Now, it’s very popular to put newborn babies in a basket or something similar. Such a picture will look as if you have just received a parcel from a stork.
Close-up photos of hands and feet. Such photos show how tender and touching a baby is. The tiny feet and hands look especially amazing if they are in the parents’ hands.
The Yawn. Everyone loves photos of sleeping and smiling infants. A yawn looks very lovely as well and is funnier than a child’s smile. Try to do a couple of photos of a yawning baby.
Baby Hammocks. It’s one of the cutest ways of making a baby poster. However, while making such photos take care that a child is in safety and won’t fall. Hammocks can be of different designs and fabric types. Just choose the most appropriate for you and try to make sweet photos.
Hats. Little babies in hats look very lovely and adorable. A nice baby hat is able to spice up the photos, while at the same time it helps to keep the newborn warm. There are dozens of different hats, which can be used: from a simple knitted one to more unusual ones (a Santa’s hat or a floral one). Moreover, a hat doesn’t cost much, but helps to make very sweet photos.
Glam. If your model is a baby girl, dress her in glamorous clothes or add some interesting accessories, for example, a boa or a necklace. Now, your model looks like a real glamorous diva.
Interesting costumes. Turn a child into a certain personage. There are many images, which suit infants, but the most popular one are rabbits, bears, princesses, Santas, angels and movie characters.
Kissed by a mother. All mothers love their children and don’t lose an opportunity to kiss them Why not show this affection on baby photography? Ask a mother to apply a bright lipstick and kiss her baby. If also looks wonderful if the whole baby’s body is covered with mother’s kisses.
Children and vegetables. A baby is so small that you can place him or her in many objects. Photo shootings with vegetables produce a series of colorful and bright photos. Try to place a baby inside a big pumpkin and you may get some unique photos.
Children offer a great number of opportunities for making photo masterpieces despite the fact that it seems to be hard to work with them. Yes, they are unpredictable, but very often some casual shots turn out to be the best photos. That’s why don’t be afraid and just let that little creature inspire you.
If you are a professional baby photographer, you can get additional income by registering on printmeposter.com as a contributor.