14 Creative Ideas for Halloween Decorations
Halloween is a wonderful cause for decorating your dwelling and turning it into a scary haunted house. Many people think that it's too pricy to do that, forgetting that the most important in Halloween decorations is to scare and not to impress by their luxuriousness. In fact, you don't need much money to turn your house into a place, which will be ideal for a Halloween party. However, good imagination is required. Here are some interesting ideas of indoor and outdoor decorations for All Saints' Day.
- The easiest way to prepare the house for the Halloween party is to use posters. You can use the ones of your favorite horror movies or characters. Ghosts, vampires and other evil spirits will also look great. In order to make them more realistic, it's possible to use red paint or add some scary decorative elements to them, for example, a cobweb or silhouettes of bats.
- A nice variant to make your yard or garden ready for the holiday is to make a chicken wire ghost. It's a good substitute to the traditional ghosts, made of white sheet. You just need to take a chicken wire and form a ghost out of it. It's better to make it in the form of a human so that the figure looks more realistic and frightening. Just imagine your guests' faces when they see a real ghost in your yard!
- Bats have always been symbols of Halloween together with pumpkins. There are dozens of ways to use them in home decor. For example, make a bat chandelier. Just take black cardstock, thread, paint, embroidery hoops and create your own scary chandelier. It looks nice if bats are of different sizes and are placed at different height. If you don’t have much time, it’s possible to buy ready bat figures, which can be used for your chandelier.
- One more way to decorate your chandelier is to hang little white ghosts on it. If you are tired of ordinary gauze ghosts, it’s possible to make them of white cupcake cups. Black peppercorns can serve as eyes. Using a thread, attach the ghosts to the chandelier and that’s it. Such ghosts don’t look scary, but are rather funny.
- Of course, it’s impossible to imagine Halloween without a pumpkin. However, carving isn’t the only way to make your pumpkin nice. You are free to decorate it in dozens of ways and use different materials and techniques. You may use lace, buttons, ribbons, threads, paints, markers and some other things, which you have at hand. For example, using just glue and glitter, you can get such nice pumpkins. Note that if you consider yourself to be a bad painter, stencils will be of use for you.
- We have got used to use wreaths for Christmas, but why not to buy or make the one for Halloween. A grapevine wreath, which can be bought at any hobby supply store, may be used as a basement. However, it’s not obligatory to use it as other materials can be used as well. Then, you are free to add there whatever you want: spiders, bats, voodoo dolls, skeletons etc.
- Black ravens look rather spooky and are often used to frighten us when we watch horror movies. The use of them as a part of decor for your house or entryway will certainly make your guests feel scared. It’s possible to place them around the house or concentrate at one place.
- Make a door greeter out of cheesecloth and skeleton and make your visitors quiver with fear when they approach your door. Cover the skeleton with cloth and place it so that it looks like it marches ahead. It will be wonderful if you are also able to use some special lighting for it.
- Place bloody handprints on windows and glass doors, making everyone believe that a real slaughter has taken place here not so long ago. The only thing you need for this is red paint. You can also use the handprints inside your house. However, we recommend you to do that only in places, which will certainly be easily cleaned after the party.
- Ghostly gallery is easily made of photos of 19th century portraits or any other old ones, which are available on the net or at any history book. Just put them on black mats, place in a row, add candles and an artificial cobweb and that’s it.
- Head in a jar will make your guests feel as if they are in a morgue or visiting a house of a psycho. In order to do it, you need to place a laminated photo into a jar and fill it with water.
- Doll heads put on electric candles look very scary. However, there are many other ways of using dolls for Halloween: you can draw something on their faces, add artificial blood and some other creepy accessories or, even, make a wreath of them.
- In order not to buy mannequins or dolls to make them look like corpses, you need to take trash bags and mold them into a body with the help of a duct tape. Add some blood for the bodies to look as if they have been just killed.
- Black silhouettes of mice, cats, spiders, ghosts and other creatures, made of black cardstock, will add the atmosphere of the holiday to every corner of your house. You are free to put them at any place you like.